CLICK PICTURE TO RETURN TO MAIN PAGE

CLICK PICTURE TO RETURN TO MAIN PAGE
CLICK PICTURE TO RETURN TO MAIN PAGE

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Leaning against the church

When I go to the gym, there are always a couple of people leaning against the machines talking to their friends. They are in that same position when I leave an hour later. It doesn’t bother me and I have never thought much of it. But a few days ago I got off my machine (exhausted) and I walked past one of them just in time to hear him say that he doesn’t understand why he is not losing any weight when he comes to the gym every day. I almost tripped on myself when I heard him say that. Apparently he felt that just being in the gym counted whether he exercised or not.

As I drove home, I couldn’t help thinking about the danger in coming here to Earth and spending our time "leaning" against the Church. Not really doing much of anything unless we are asked to; but, assuming that since we show up to church each week that we are secured a place in heaven.

Matthew 3:9 says, “And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.” Jesus said this because Abraham was promised by the Lord that he would have children who would inherit eternity. Because of that promise, some of the literal descendants of Abraham, alive at that time, assumed they were assured eternal salvation for nothing more than their lineage. Jesus' point was that just being a descendant of Abraham will not secure your place in heaven.

Just like the socializers at the gym and the literal descendants of Abraham; showing up to church each week alone is not enough to get you into heaven. You must actively participate in your own salvation.

Matthew 7:21 Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

1 comment:

Please be respectful